Wednesday, April 18, 2012

80's Retro Tutorial for the NYX FACE Awards




For those of you who don't know I was chosen as a contestant in the NYX Cosmetics Face Awards.  I am so incredible pumped to be a part of this, even if it's just a small part.  I feel like I've worked really hard on Youtube for years now and this could be an amazing opportunity for me to grow as an artist.  The competition takes place in a number of challenges.  Our first challenge is to create an 80's Retro look.  

I racked my brain trying to decide what to do.  I spent hours researching makeup, looking at fifty thousand pictures of Madonna only to come to the conclusion that there were so many different subgenres of makeup that there was not "one look" that defined the decade.  I decided to create my own look from my memories of the 80's (mainly Lisa Frank folders, Thundercats and musicians).

I decided to make a "mood" board for this 80's Retro challenge.  Even though I didn't go the way of the Cyndi Laupercorn I did manage to create a look that I'm happy with.  It's not true authentic 80's, but it's my version.  And I took inspiration from all over.  The hair was totally Sebastian Bach.  Boy George-y lips. Cyndi Lauper's True Colors and Lisa Frank's Rainbow Unicorn.  Totally tubular.

For the video I decided to do a take on a cheesy 80's movie so I did a 80's makeover.  I had more fun filming that than spinning around in a grassy field.  No wait that was fun too... until I fell down.  I plan on editing vlogs of my experience in this contest btw.

Also NYX sent some amazing makeup to work with.  Big thanks to them for believing in the beauty community and hosting this MONDO contest.

 

9 comments:

  1. Loooove! And the sassy pic on the right is killer. I really hope you go far in this competition, I was happy to see you as one of the contestants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look is totally RAD! I totally voted for you 3 times a day every day :-) Good luck! You are so talented and definitely deserve to win this whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I freaking LOVE this!! You took me back to my childhood!! I miss the 80s so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still voting for you, good luck! You deserve it :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing!!! out of all the artists you are my favorite. I am not one for popularity contests in which I feel the contest has been. I value an artist who has true creative talent and technique. If judged simply by technique alone. You would win. By the way, would you mind sharing what kind of camera you record your youtube videos with and the editing program. Ive tried soooo many and nothing works for me.....

    Beauty editor for Beautiful Little Brides magazine- Faythe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool pictures, Let's not forget nails style's and designs when going for retro! Designs & more nail accessories can be found here, http://whalespainc.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. تقوم شركة ماسترتك بصناعة ماكينات تعبئة سكر اوتوماتيك بداخل مصانعها الخاصه تحت اشراف نخبة مختصين في صناعة مكن التعبئة، حيث تصنع الماكينة من الفولاذ المتين المقاوم للصداء

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you can buy unique and wonderful kitchens from Amr Helmy Company, which is considered one of the best kitchen companies in sheikh zayed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. تساعد عملية تكميم المعدة علي التحكم في هرمونات الشهية عن طريق تقليل الشهية لأن استئصال معظم أجزاء المعدة ينتج عنه تغيرات كيميائية في الجسم تقلل الشهية.

    ReplyDelete