Monday, May 3, 2010

How to Prevent Eyeliner Smudges/Runs/Smears

So yeah I don't think Captain Jack Sparrow worries about his eyeliner, but in all honesty I think he is the only one that can rock the raccoon eyes. With that said, ladies and gentlemen I give to you my first ever post on my brand new blog. And what is the topic at hand you may ask... Well my fellow make-up connoiseurs I present to you how to prevent eyeliner smudges. We have all witnessed the terror that smudged and smeared eyeliner can bring; the stares, the did you get enough sleeps, the honey grunge went out years ago comments. But the question at hand is HOW DO WE PREVENT these ghastly smears? As a fellow eyeliner lover I am here to share with you some of my favorite tips.

First let's begin with upper lid liner.
I find liquid eyeliner is the way to go on the upper lid. Not only is it simple to apply but you don't have to worry about sharpening a pencil or washing a brush. Also liquid liner offers the cleanest lines especially if you are going for that illusive cat eye wing. But liquid liner can smear. So how do we stop that? The solution is to find a good sealant. I highly recommend Kryolan's Cel Sealer. This product is designed for the stage which means it has amazing staying power. At first glance it looks like a bottle of eyedrops, but this little sucker packs a lot of bang for the buck. I purchased mine six months ago and have barely put a dent in it. To apply it you simply place a drop on your hand, pick up a small bit on an angled brush and sweep it over your liner. It only takes a few seconds to dry and after that you are ready for an all day eyeliner fest. It won't smudge or smear. And for you fans of gel liners and pencil liners, fret not, because it works just the same with them. Another added benefit of this product is it's ability to mix with loose shadows to make your own eyeliner. To achieve this you simply mix a few drops of the Cel Sealer with your favorite loose shadow and apply it just like a liquid liner. The best thing is this product is affordable compared to it's counterpart Benefit's She-Laq. She-Laq costs $30, Krylon Cel Sealer can be found for around $10. The best place to find it I have found is eBay. I ordered mine from FunHouseTheatrical (click on the name to find the shop). Some theatrical makeup suppliers also keep it in stock as well. I definitely think it's a must have for those of us who struggle with racoon eyes.



Now on to the lower lid...
The lower lid is a bit of a different beast. Where I prefer liquid liner on the top lid, I definitely use gel liners, pencils and eyeshadows on the lower lid. In my opinion liquid liner is way too harsh for everyday wear. I like to use soft pencil liners which are notorious for smudging. To combat that I simply pat a similar shade of eyeshadow over the liner. You can also skip the liner and just use eyeshadow for lower liner. Eyeshadow, as powder, and can hold up really well under the eyes.
Now it's time for the waterline....
Oh joy of joys! The waterline, which is the inner rim of the eye, is quite a pain to line. However lining it can intensify your eyes like nothing else! I really like using waterproof, smudge-proof liners like the Styli-Style Line and Seal liners. These liners are available in many drugstores like CVS and offer a wide variety of colors. They hold up better for me than the Urban Decay 24/7 liners and are a fraction of the cost. I do also like to pat similar eyeshadows over the liner as well. Any little extra I can do to make it last I will do. I have yet to find a guaranteed solution but these tips have definitely helped. So get to lining those beautiful eyes!

3 comments:

  1. YAY for the new blog! Thanks for these excellent tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray a BLOG !!! Thumbs up !!!
    Sadly we can´t get these waterproof "dupes" for the Urban Decay Liner Pencils here in Europe :o(

    Have you ever thought about a shop for custom makeup purchases?
    Guess this would be a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hi - am mad for eyeliner, but seem to have the smudgiest eyes on the planet so these tips are invaluable! Please keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete